.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

How Do I Love Thee, Trash Picking Edition

As if my bargains at Kohl's were not enough, my mom called me this morning to report that this was sitting on the curb in all its glory, left out for the taking:



Hallelujah! Do you here the angels singing? A kitchen has come home. So that's theologically way off, but you get the point: we are excited about the kitchen! And its official, James has almost as much counter space as me and his oven is almost as big as yours, Rach. As if that weren't enough, Mom found this on her way back:



I have fond memories of pushing our toy shopping cart around Mom's kitchen and going 'grocery shopping.' And hey, if the kids don't like it, I can put it out at my curb. But alas, the story isn't over. As I was loading up my loot, the guy whose junk was our treasure, said "There's lots more." He proceeded to show me through his trash: an toddler art desk, a toy box full of blocks, motorcycles, etc. He told me that depending on how much I wanted to dig, there were 'unopened' presents in the trash. Say what!? That's what the man said. Bags and bags of toys, some of them never opened. What a waste! I didn't feel like digging through too much, but I did snag the art desk, the blocks, a like-new baseball glove and this:



And like any good dumpster-diver would do, I alerted my dumpster-diving friend. She has a son who is the right age for all the stuff they had thrown out, so she was going to head on over. Good luck, Trish!!

5 comments:

Phillip and Rachel said...

Meg, that was a low blow with the oven comment...it's still a sensitive subject:)

Anonymous said...

Don't take it personal, Rach. My lack of counter space still causes me pangs of sadness too.

Trish D said...

And your trash-loving friend was very appreciative! We came home with a whole slew of matchbox cars, a very cool castle set (Megablocks that weren't even opened!), partial drum set (still not sure when I'm going to let our son actually see it, though), and misc cool toys. Well worth the detour...

And can I just say that the kitchen is seriously cool! Too bad the jubilees aren't that nicely designed ;)

Jules said...

Awesome finds!!! I never have that kind of luck! Not that we have any room left in our house since both families spoiled Jacob and he now has way more toys than he knows what to do with. I hope James enjoys his new treasures! Maybe he can cook you dinner for a change :)

Erin said...

Who seriously throws away all that stuff? You never find stuff on the curb like that in GJ.