.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

James' Favorite Food: 'Pan-teets'

If James had to be trapped on a deserted island and only bring one food with him, I'm pretty sure he would pick these. He asks me almost every morning for 'pan-teets.' His latest favorite is Shredded Apple. And Grandpa Cheyney, every time I eat them I think of you, because when I used to eat pancakes at your house you used to tell me, "If you keep eating like that you're going to get fat." he he he



5 Grain Pancake Mix

2 C. all-purpose flour

2 C. whole wheat flour

1 C. cornmeal

1 C. quick oats

1/2 C. wheat bran or 100% bran flakes

6 TBS. sugar

2 TBS. baking powder

4 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. salt (or less)

1 tsp. nutmeg

cinnamon if desired

Layer or mix and store in airtight container. For one batch of pancakes, whisk together ¾ C. buttermilk or milk (more or less depending on the consistency you like), 1 egg and 1 tsp. vegetable oil (optional: I never add it). Stir in ¾ C. to 1 C. of mix just until combined. Makes six 4” pancakes per batch. To mix things up a bit, throw in any of the following:

a shredded apple

a mashed banana and cinnamon chips

shredded zucchini

1/3 cup or more of canned pumpkin or mashed butternut squash

a big handful of blueberries

a big handful of raspberries

some chocolate chips


No comments: