.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Eight Years....

Eight years ago today Jeff and I got hitched. I can't believe its been eight years! And here we are, old married farts with two kids and another on the way. We went to be at 8:30 last night, but don't tell anyone. It might be embarrassing. Seriously, its been an eventful eight years and I am glad to say we are still in one piece and enjoying our life together. I'll stop myself from rambling on and on, and tell you all about swimming in sub-zero temperatures during our honeymoon. We went to Ouray, Colorado on our honeymoon. I do believe it is my favorite place on earth. Should I ever become rich and famous, I will be buying a vacation home there, and maybe a helicopter or something while I am at it. We went in January, and the only people in town were us, a few locals and some Swedish ice climbers. Trying to find food in a town closed down for the winter was a bit tricky. The Subw@y was open from 11-1, that's it. There was a breakfast place open from 7-10. Don't miss it or you won't be eating. Funny thing was, there is a restaurant there called Buen Tiempo and that place was packed! I think it was the local's only way to go out for a meal. While in Ouray, we went ice skating, hiked around a bit, watched the crazy Swedish ice climbers try to impale themselves with falling icicles the size of Volkesw@gons, and took a white-knuckle drive over Red Mountain only to find that, surprise! Silverton was even more 'shut-down' than Ouray. They didn't even plow the roads. The only people we spotted were a lady at the visitors center, and two or three wizzened old codgers sitting in front of a boarded up store smoking pipes. Needless to say, we turned around and headed back. Due to the lack of entertainment in Silverton, Jeff decided that he wanted to see an avalanche. Much to my dismay, he would stop the car periodically and honk the horn, trying to see if he could start some sort of avalanche. Now, I don't know if honking the horn is really enough to start an avalanche, but I wasn't interested in finding out. Fortunately, we lived to tell the tale...no avalanches were started. And here I am talking about avalanches, and I told you I was going to tell you about swimming. Oi. I am losing my mind. Ouray is known for its hot springs. There are a few places where hot water (110-120 degrees-ish) bubbles out of the ground, year round. The water is rich in minerals and is said to be good for the health. There is a pool in the middle of town which is wonderful to soak in. The place we stayed also happened to be built over the only privately owned hot springs in the area. They had a vapor cave under the building, which we found out was clothing optional...eeeew. There was also a pool with a deck situated outside the spa. We went to sit in the pool one night and it was rather cold. When you are actually in the water, the cold doesn't phase you. However, to give you an idea of how cold it was, when we got out, I immediately ran across the deck inside. Jeff followed right after me, and proceeded to slip on my frozen footprints. It was an experience we won't forget, that's for sure. I'll leave you with a few pictures from our wedding. And Happy Anniversary, Jeff!!

4 comments:

Trish D said...

Congrats - and NICE bangs :)

On a side note, mythbusters disproved the whole "start an avalanche with loud noises" myth

DayPhoto said...

Ouray is 1.5 hours from us. We go often, in fact I have photos on my blog about that really neat place.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Erin said...

Happy Anniversary! And I still regret not being able to make the wedding after eight years. I would have taken a photo of you that wasn't in front of the double doors to the church (WTF?)

Anonymous said...

You would have done a MUCH better job with pictures. Our photographer was horrendous!