.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Calling All Diminutive Birds

Fall is finally here! We had our first light frost this morning, which for nerdy folks like me is very exciting! It also means that I have to harvest my birdhouse gourds ASAP. I am actually not into the whole birdhouse gourd scenario per se, but I thought it would be fun to make a birdhouse with James. So, I planted the seeds, watched them sprout, let poisonous weeds sprout amongst them, and waited and waited till little gourds appeared. There was a slight problem, however, no pun intended. The little gourds just never got any bigger. My birdhouse gourds have not gotten very, well, birdhouse-sized. I guess due to the dry summer their growth has been stunted. They are, in fact, what a hummingbird would consider a studio apartment. Not much room to move around in. There are a few somewhat larger ones (about the size of a hummingbird one-bedroom apartment), but they are not ripe. I think they will just rot. Oh, well. It was a fun experiment anyway. Maybe I can channel a little of my inner Martha and make them into some nifty and festive décor.

No comments: