.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Just Coming Out Of A Turkey Coma.....

Hello, and welcome to today's episode of Newspapers and Broccoli, where Megan rambles on about her long Thanksgiving weekend. We begin today's post with a brief recap of the food that we all made. There was roasted turkey, smoked turkey (muy bien!!), mashed potatoes and stuffing, zweiback (German rolls), and a whole variety of delicious pies. It sure was good, and I couldn't help but think of how much (like...over-the-top much) we have. I heard someone say on the radio that if someone in a third world country could sit down to an American feast, they wouldn't be able to fathom it. He said that they would not be able to comprehend that all that food was to be eaten in the same day, on the same meal. So sad. I would invite them all over if I could. That would be a full house! And speaking of full houses, there were a lot of people at our Thanksgiving soiree. Aunt Sal made her debut at the Thanksgiving table, and Con-Rachel made a late appearance as well. My sister-in-law's family also came toting marshmallow guns, new and improved. Moving on to the marshmallow fight, I have made a few observations as a participant in the epic battle of puffy white balls of corn syrup. It has been determined that the guys have an advantage in lung capacity. My marshmallows could be seeing lazily floating along, stopping to make a daisy chain or two before descending to their targets (which sounds oddly reminiscent of my short-lived softball career). The men launched one punishing marshmallow after another. Ouch!!! I was the unlucky recipient of three to the face. Let me tell you, marshmallows really sting! I thought that I was going to have a welt, but fortunately I didn't. Another thing that I established is that your fingers will cease to have the capacity to load marshmallows once frozen. It is at that point that it is best to bow out gracefully, and go warm up inside.Tyler spent half the day napping in Jeff's arms. Jeff has the magic touch. Its quite amazing and handy. Once awake, Tyler spend the afternoon mooching chocolate off of Grammy, who is known to be a sucker when it comes to those sorts of things. A few times I spotted Tyler with the dead giveaway: a chocolate goatee! :) James and Katie made little pumpkin pies with Grammy, and otherwise remained relatively quiet. Thursday we Skyped Jeff's sister and were surprised to end up talking to Jeff's Mom. That was the first time in 2 1/2 years, and it was awkward, strange and very sad. We did get to see all my nieces and nephews (via skype) and that was very nice! My two youngest nephews both have lost their front teeth, leaving a big and adorable gap in their smiles. I wanted to hug them through the screen, but it didn't work out very well. ;) Ah, well, I think I have pretty much exhausted what little brain power I have left after my Turkey Coma, not to mention your attention span. Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!



Oh, and I almost forgot!! Jeff has some tips to add for how to make sure no one comes back for seconds. I asked him to crack some eggs for me. He decided that the most efficient way was to crack them all, then pick out the shells. Let me say that eggs should not crunch. I fed the leftovers to Jeff this morning and he realized that he may have left a 'few' egg shells in the eggs.

No comments: