.

Friday, February 06, 2009

Not so encouraging...

After a long visit to CHOP, we're back. I was hoping for encouraging news, but didn't really get it. Her hip hasn't really improved since her last visit. It has improved overall: the hip is in the socket, and the femoral head seems to have grown a bit. However, the doctor is concerned that if it doesn't progress enough, she'll have to have surgery in 2-3 years. Its just a waiting game to see what happens. He does want to see her in in 4-6 months, and wants to keep a close eye on her. Basically, her socket is shallow and her femoral head is a lot smaller than the 'good' one. So, over time, there is a chance that the femur could begin to slide out of the socket and cause uneven wear to the socket. That would cause arthritis. To correct the problem, and if you are squeamish stop reading now, they would cut away the bottom edge of the socket, and move it down, filling in the gap with donor bone. That would create the proper shape and keep her femur from sliding out. After the surgery, she would be in another SPICA cast for 4-6 weeks. Its really hard to tell what will happen. Her hip may just decide to correct itself. It may not. We'll just have to wait it out and see what happens I guess. I know I'll be doing even more praying in the meantime. Oh, this parenting stuff is nerve-wracking!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are praying too! :)

Schwartz's said...

I can't believe I had to find this information out via this blog.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Candi! I haven't really called anyone since I just didn't feel like rehashing it to everyone yet. I'll call ya!