.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Winter Thoughts on Gardening/Canning/Freezing

***Note to self: if you don't hit the publish button, your post will not show up. Duh.***

I'm know I'm just pretending you all are interested in the subject, but here goes: I am quite tickled to say that I still have a handful of roasted green chiles in my freezer, as well as some bell peppers. I still have some dried herbs and a ton of dried cayenne peppers. I still have applesauce, jam, pear honey, jalapenos, and a couple other random things. And some sun dried tomatoes. And we have been eating the stuff like crazy! What I am trying to say is that I am impressed that despite the fact that I didn't decide to can anything til August, and I planned my garden in approximately 12 seconds, I still have produce and its January! Imagine what I could do if I actually planned ahead! This morning I was pouring over my super cool seed catalog and drawing diagrams of my future garden. I plan on having a nice, well producing garden. I am not sure, however, how much preserving I'll be able to do when Numero Tres arrives. I'm hoping to get at least some stuff done. Rachel is betting I'll just birth the baby right in the middle of my garden then go on pulling weeds. I'm not that crazy, Rachel! I'd at least stop to get the baby a blanket or something! :)

2 comments:

Phillip and Rachel said...

You would just shade the baby with a squash leaf...you are crazy Meg :)

Erin said...

I totally identify with your pride in stretching out the summer bounty through winter. I was counting jars of tomatoes the other day and doing some mental math about how many more pots of chili I could make. Yay for self-sufficiency!