.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Hatchery

We had Hatchery today and as can be expected, we had a lot of fun. The kids got to see a real vulture egg that one of the farmers found. Katie said it had purplish speckles on it and it was bigger than a chicken egg. Pretty nifty! Can't say I've ever seen one. They also got to go check out the kitchen garden and of course, visit all the animals. One of their 'jobs' every week is to check on the baby chicks and look for signs that there might be a boy in the midst. So far, I don't think they have seen any rooster-like behavior, but the jury is still out. Meanwhile, I got my new assignment today....sewing an historically accurate costume for one of the ladies there. The time period that the farm is working from is roughly 1900. The lady I am sewing for has worked there for 25 years, and has worn out three costumes. I had fun talking 'shop' with the costume lady: french seams, pleats, tucks, bias, oh my!! I shall keep you posted on the outcome.

In other news, the weather here has been crazy. The last two days were in the upper 80's. Tomorrow the temps will drop and we are supposed to get rain all day. For the last three days, I took the kids to the creek to play. I caught myself developing a nervous twitch thinking about the nasty stuff in the creek, mainly because there is a mysterious heating oil leak that ends up in the creek, along with miscellaneous ceiling fan parts, broken glass and a rusty bike or two. Sounds pretty awesome, right? It really isn't horrible, but certainly not the crystal clean waters I grew up swimming in. OK, so maybe I grew up swimming in a cow pond. And a cow tank. So yeah, maybe I should just kick that nervous twitch and go with it. If swimming in a giant bovine toilet didn't kill me, then I think my kids will survive a dip in sparkling L-town waters.

No comments: