.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Toast, Anyone? (A Questionable Franch Tale)


Out West, you can find a fine delicacy served under the names ‘Rocky Mountain Oysters,’ ‘Prairie Oysters,’ ‘Calf Fries,’ ‘Cowboy Caviar,’ or by my two new favorite names ‘Montana Tendergroins,’ or ‘Swinging Beef.’ This delicacy is usually battered and fried, and served up as a tasty appetizer. Jeff and I have both had these oysters in the past, and let me tell you, they are not seafood. Click here if you haven’t heard. To be honest, they are actually not bad at all, if you can get past what you are eating. (I can’t really do that.) We have a friend out here who said he would eat them if I would cook them, but finding them is nigh on to impossible. I once asked someone if they knew where I could find some, and he proceeded to direct me to a seafood store. He had no idea what I was talking about! Last week, the subject came up with Jeff’s coworkers. Jeff informed them that he had, indeed, dined on a few calf fries in his day. Apparently, Jeff’s coworker was so repulsed that even that night, he could not eat his dinner. Instead he had a piece of toast and called it a night.

No comments: