.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Farm Fun and Craftiness

This summer we joined a CSA farm. Basically, you buy a 'share' of what is grown. Of course, given the nature of farming you are not guaranteed a definite amount of stuff. However, the farm is very diverse so if one thing doesn't grow well there are lots of other stuff that will. Each week you get to pick up your share, and there are also 'pick-your-own' crops that you can pick a specified amount of. For example, last week was snow peas/shelling peas/snap peas. We were able to pick 3 pounds of them. Also, there are always fresh herbs. Everything is organic which is a nice plus. So far, I am very pleased. The cost of the CSA works out to $20/week, and I go home with more produce than we can eat (which is a lot). I have been freezing stuff like kale, spinach and peas. I have canned several batches of strawberry jam in addition to the copious amounts of strawberries we have eaten fresh. I can't decide what I like more about the whole set-up: all the food, or enjoying the farm experience with the kids. They love helping me pick stuff, and playing around the farm shop. There is a huge walnut tree that fell and the kids think that that tree trunk is the best playground. There are also pigs there so they like to visit them. The last few weeks I have realized that I need more bags to carry our stuff home in. Last week alone, we got 3 pounds of snow peas, cilantro, dill, lemon basil, purple basil, two huge heads of lettuce, three big zuchinni, a bunch of beets, a bunch of salad turnips, a large bag of spinach and kale, a bunch of green onions, and a head of chinese cabbage. (I feel like I am forgetting something) So, even though I have several bags, they are inadequate. When I saw a tutorial for these, I just had to make them for the kids. This one is the first one, and Katie claimed it. James has requested a blueberry bag, so that's next up.


1 comment:

DayPhoto said...

You really are a country girl, you know. Glad you could join fresh food is ALWAYS the best!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com