.

Friday, October 05, 2012

The Epic Sewing Project, and Walmart: Afterhours



A few months ago I was at a yard sale and I hit the jackpot. A 1950's pattern for a boys' Davy Crockett costume. All the pieces were there, and in the (almost) right size. And I got it for a whopping 10 cents! While the pattern was pretty simple (and came with no instructions) it seemed like it took forever. I suppose cutting all that fringe didn't help matters. 

Recognize that shoelace, Grandma??

However, the boy is incredibly happy to have his very own duds...


Complete with a real coyote tail hat. What would we do without the internet, people? I ordered that tail for $6 and paired it with some lovely fake fur from Joanns and voila! A hat! I'm now taking orders.


I also ordered this beaded medallion from the same seller. Pretty nifty! 


So now the kid can hunt in style...


And he is one happy camper!

And now on to my Walmart adventures. Last night I went grocery shopping after the kids went to bed. I generally try to avoid the Super-W on nights and weekends. There is a reason, after all, that there is a website devoted solely to 'the people of Walmart.' Alas, we were out of just about everything and I could wait no longer. Naturally being later in the evening there was a mixed crowd, but nothing too scary. As I was leaving,  I used the important life skills Jeff has imparted to me to spot a drug deal in the making. There were two guys in their late teens walking a little too close together. They were definitely violating the obligatory "I'm not gay" man-distance. If two girls were walking close together you would think nothing of it, but when two guys are walking shoulder to shoulder its a little weird. The one guy subtly but a bit too enthusiastically reaches over to his buddy and they made the 'exchange'. In his rush, he dropped the goods: a tiny little wadded up bag of 'the stuff'. Of course he picked it up really fast and they kept walking. It was at that moment that I really wished I had one of those signs the judges hold up to give ratings. I would have loved to rate the subtlety and finesse that (didn't) accompany their deal. If I were to rate it, I would have given them a '3'. Started out well enough, but an over enthusiastic hand-off resulted in a fumble which is not advisable when swapping illegal substances. It's not like they were swapping halves to a best friends necklace after all. Then I thought I should said 'Oh, let me pick that up for you!' but I don't have the nerve for that. Too bad Jeff wasn't with me....

2 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

You are amazing! You could complicate your life and make period costumes for sale............. just thinking out loud!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Shay said...

That is one awesome hunting outfit, nicely done! And it's a shame kids these days don't know how to handle a drug deal discreetly. What is the world coming to??