.

Saturday, February 09, 2013

Drama In The Coop

I posted this already, but the post has vanished...weird. 

On Thursday evening, I decided to let the chickens out for a bit. I have kept them in their run for a while because of issues with a huge hawk hanging around. I figured if I let them out just for an hour in the evening, they would probably be fine. I also hung out one of those garden eye things that are supposed to ward off the beasts. Turns out, it wasn't the hawk I needed to worry about. I went to lock them up and saw a possum in the run. I came in and got Jeff and we went out to investigate. In the process, we scared the possum into the chicken coop. Awesome. Just awesome. We got the thing cornered and taken care of. Unfortunately the chickens didn't care for the sound of that and went absolutely nuts. There were feathers flying in every direction and chickens flying into walls. The poor things were in a complete panic. Chickens can't see much at all at night so they are especially vulnerable. I couldn't coax them up onto the roost. They just slept in a heap in the corner. Now I must be even more vigilant with Chicken Safety Protocol.

2 comments:

Shay said...

exciting! :O

Terry and Linda said...

Poor things! I hope they are calmer now. I have a skunk...and a fox, and a raccoon hanging around. So now I have the live trap and will set it tonight. I dread the whole mess of it but my girls come first!

Linda
*♥´¨) ¸.-´¸.-♥´¨) ¸.-♥¨) (¸.-´ (¸.-` ♥♥´¨
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com