.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Buzz

Yesterday we made homemade Gak. It is the coolest stuff. To make it, you mix equal parts white Elmer's school glue and water (usually about 1/4 c. of each) with a few drops of food coloring. In a separate bowl, mix 2 c. water with about 1 TBS.+ of Borax. Pour the glue mixture into the Borax solution and it turns to a rubbery glob of Gak. We made it a lot as kids and now my kids like to make it every now and then. The kids had a blast playing with it and it kept them entertained for quite a while. However, the festivities came to an end when Tyler decided that Gak would be fun to put in his hair. Of course, he let it sit there for a minute or two before he told me. That gave it a chance to settle in and surround each individual hair on the top of his head. I couldn't get it out. I tried giving him a bath, but that didn't do it either. The comb would not get it out, because the comb would just get entangled in the goo and become stuck. I had to pull out the clippers. Jeff is the usual barber around here, but I did my best. Even the electric razor had a hard time getting through the gak. Now he's sporting a nice buzz cut just in time for...winter. Now if that doesn't inspire you to make Gak for your kids, then nothing will!

2 comments:

Shay said...

maybe I'll wait to try it in the summer when I don't mind buzz cuts....

Terry and Linda said...

I'm sorry but i had to laugh, then I had to read this to Terry. What a mess...snigger.

Oh, we got our skunk...a great big one. Now the whole place smells like skunk...a nice rain would help.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com