.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Squash, anyone?

We are swimming in squash around here. The 'Boston Pickling Cucumbers' I planted ended up being Patty Pan squash. Someone was not paying attention the day they packaged those seeds. Incidentally that's the second time that has happened to me, last year being the Green Zebra tomatoes that came out red, and decidedly un-Zebra-like. The trouble with this year's seed mix-up is that I'd already planted a very similiar type of Patty Pan squash. Now, its ATTACK OF THE SQUASH BRIGADE every time I go into the garden. So far, I've used it to make Zucchini Yeast Rolls, sauteed squash, roasted squash, steamed squash, squash with fresh basil, Zucchini Chocolate Cake, Vegetable Chowder, Veggie Pizza, Veggie roll-ups, squash and black bean quesadillas, and squash pancakes! (Yes, I stooped to that level, and no one was the wiser for it.) I've resorted to picking them really little so I can try grilling them whole, and so they take up less room in the fridge. :)

1 comment:

DayPhoto said...

Try frying the blooms. Put a slice of cheese in the middle and coat with batter and fry.

Yummm

Or take the blooms and mix in with your salad.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com