.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Legos As Motivator

James has been begging for Legos lately. Silly me, I didn't realize it cost $29.99 for approximately 150 tiny little pieces, and then an extra $10.99 if you want, say...wheels or a mini-figure. Eek! I have been keeping my eyes peeled but haven't really found any good deals. At the same time, I have been trying to come up with a fun and encouraging way to get James to practice his reading skills over the summer. (yes, my boy is reading!) It dawned on my that I could use legos as a reward for reading, and I ended up ordering some legos on Ebay. Today was the first day of the 'program' and he read to me for FORTY minutes! For a kid just learning to read, that is a long time if you ask me. He did great and needed very little assistance. He even read the book 'Fly Guy,' which is beyond the scope of the words and sounds he has learned at school. I have always loved to read, and it is so fun to listen to him read to me. I am excited for him, just thinking about how many adventures he can go on by reading books. I might run out of legos, but that's a small price to pay. :)

1 comment:

Terry and Linda said...

I went to get lego the other day and was SHOCKED at the prices. Although, there were all sorts of selections the prices were horrible.

Me thinks your son will be a creator like his Momma and his Daddy!


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com