.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I've Hit the Motherload!

I have managed to become the grateful recipient of an enormous bag of rhubarb, thanks to my Aunt's cousin's neighbor's friend's goat's nephew, or something like that. Actually, long story but a friend of my Aunt has an 'in' with the farming/Amish community in Lancaster and found out that I was in the market for some rhubarb. She called around and found someone who needed to unload some rhubarb. My parents came home armed with rhubarb stalks as long as my arm. To say I was thrilled would be an understatement. We love rhubarb around here. I got it all cut up and stashed away so that I can make various Rhubarb concoctions throughout the year. To make room in my freezer for the rhubarb, I decided to finally use up the cranberries I bought at Christmas time. My canner sprung a leak around then and I had to get a new (to me) canner. I made Cranberry Ketchup and while it sounds really weird, it is oh, so good. I was eating it with a spoon yesterday. I also managed to get my first steam burn of the canning season. Ouch! Later today I am going to make Rhubarb Jam with Vanilla Bean and Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (to celebrate Jeff being out of school!!). Mmmmm.....

No comments: